Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Sao Gonca*

Sweetheart
I’d do anything for our love
I’d do anything for our good, my sweetness
Missing you hurts so much
It’s tearing my heart apart
Never doubt that one day
I’ll give you the sky
(my love) and a ring too
So we can get married
With the judge or the church
If that’s what you want
If you don’t, that’s ok, sweetness
But you have to understand
Living in São Gonçalo you know how it is
Major traffic jams on the bridge today
I had to walk
Tried to call you
But the orelhao** on my street
was broken
My card ran out of credit
Believe it if, if that’s what you want

* "Sao Gonca" (or, the city of Sao Goncalo) is across the Bay from Rio de Janeiro (across the Guanabara Bay to be exact). The bridge that Seu Jorge refers to in the last part of song is the Rio-Niteroi Bridge, currently the longest prestressed concrete bridge in the southern hemisphere, and the sixth longest in the world.
** Interesting translation factoid: "orelhao" (aka phone booth) is a very literal translation of "very big ear". It is a particular Brazilian colloquialism with a fascinating history of design and implementation - see here for more.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Vrem said...

Thanks for the great website! I am learning portuguese, and listening to Seu Jorge's music and this website is amazing.

1:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for your great work!
If you have time and desire, please, translate Mina Do Condominho, please!

1:02 AM  
Blogger Yukirat said...

Shit.....these translations are highly valuable to non-Portuguese-speaking Seu Jorge-worshippers like me. Maybe I should start one on J-Pop stars but there's already a supply for that. Seu Jorge was in Vancouver recently ... dreamy man. Band could have been a LOT better.

http://vancouverportraits.blogspot.com/2010/08/seu-jorge-in-vancouver.html

10:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the translations - they're amazing!

6:27 PM  
Blogger Dávid said...

Thanks for the blog, it's REALLY useful!

11:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, this is like a stroke of luck finding your page! Up to now I was google-translating the lyrics- Didn't make much sense :)
I live in India and I was hooked after listening to his voice :)
Thank you SO much! Please keep translating!

9:57 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Tnx a lot. Nice translation.

2:07 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Why dont you translate orelhao as pay phone... I get it's slang but so is Pretinha which Sweetheart isn't the best translation either... But it would be cool if u explain the real meaning as well since it's so prevalent in the song and it happens to be what i call my girlfriend. Rsrsrs

6:53 PM  
Anonymous post tension tendon said...

Thank you for your awesome posting. It is really great writing.

11:22 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Orelhão means phone booth/pay phone fyi.

11:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home